Frequently Asked Questions
Is Yallah! Israel the same as NFTY in Israel?
Yes! We may have a new name, but our authentic, immersive program that has been around for more than six decades has not changed!
Our new brand identity will help us demonstrate the unique nature of our Israel experiences to new audiences, connecting even more Jewish young adults to the land of Israel and all it has to offer.
Who participates in Yallah! Israel?
What are the dates of the programs?
How are travel arrangements made?
Yallah! Israel uses a travel agency, Traveland, to coordinate international and domestic flights, assist during travel days, and to answer any travel-related questions from our families. Once registered for a Yallah! Israel trip, families will receive explicit instructions on how to secure a spot on our reserved group space through Traveland’s site.
Most of our trips leave from and return to John F. Kennedy Airport and Newark-Liberty International Airport in the New York metropolitan area. Some groups may have special departures from other airports in the United States.
- Domestic Flights – USA and Canada Participants and their families should work with Traveland to make domestic arrangements to and from the program’s departure city.
- International Flights – Traveland, in partnership with Yallah! Israel, arranges participants’ international flights from our group departure airport at the beginning, during (if applicable), and commencement of the program. All group flights are on American, European, and Israeli airlines that comply with the all safety and security measures required to fly in the United States, Europe, and Israel.
- Meeting the Group in the Program Departure City – Participants who fly to the departure city on their own are given explicit instructions for navigating the easy transfer from their domestic arriving airport or terminal to the departure terminal for their group international flight. Traveland and/or Yallah! Israel staff will be at the airport on the days of departure and return to ensure that all participants make their connections safely.
Do I need a passport?
All participants on a Yallah! Israel program will need a passport that is valid for 6 months after the conclusion of the program, per Israeli requirements.
How are Yallah! Israel groups formed?
The typical group ranges from 35 – 42 participants. We welcome participants of all gender identities.
We take a few different factors into account in creating groups that provide a healthy social and educational environment for all our teens:
- Teens coming from across North America will be placed in groups with other teens who have chosen to join the program independently. If you are not coming as part of a community group, there will always be others in your group coming on their own as well.
- Some of our partners in regional, synagogue, or community groups may organize a cohort of teens to attend together. We’ll make sure all the teens in a community cohort are placed in the same group.
- If you are attending with your Camp community, you’ll travel in the same group with your friends from camp.
What are the food and lodging arrangements?
- In Israel, our groups stay in kibbutz guesthouses, youth village dorms, Youth hostels, and camping sites throughout Israel.
- Usually 3 – 4 participants stay per room with a private bathroom and air-conditioning.
- Our accommodations are safe and appropriate for teens.
- Participants are provided with three meals a day.
- A vegetarian option is always available.
- Every accommodation during the summer in Israel is Kosher. Meals provided by Palestinian and Druze host will be Kosher style.
How are valuables kept safe?
Passports are held for safekeeping in our safe at the Yallah! Israel Jerusalem office. Airline tickets are issued as eTickets, so there is no need for a teen to travel with a physical ticket during the summer. For spending money, we recommend using a debit or credit card in order to minimize the chance of losing large amounts of spending money.
We recommend against bringing non-essential valuables that may be misplaced or damaged while traveling.
HEALTH + SAFETY
Are the Programs safe?
We believe that the health, safety and security of the teens entrusted to our care is always our highest priority. As such, we are exceedingly cautious and conservative.
Please visit our Safety and Security Protocols page to learn more.
Who supervises Yallah! Israel groups?
Please visit our Staff & Supervision page for a comprehensive outline of our summer team.
How is medical care provided?
We enroll all participants on our programs in a travel medical insurance plan that covers most illness and injury during the trip. The insurance does not cover care for pre-existing conditions. We strive to provide the highest standard of medical care available, including:
- Access to English-speaking doctors
- Participants are always accompanied (24 hours a day if necessary) while visiting a physician or in the hospital
Who holds and dispenses medications?
Participants are responsible for holding and dispensing their own medications. We understand teens have varying levels of experience managing medications, and so our staff are prepared to provide age-appropriate support in building this essential life skill, such as reminders to take medications on time and reminders to double-check medication is packed before leaving for a new hotel. Our staff will directly assist participants who have medications that require special handling, such as refrigeration.
What immunizations are required?
- The Union for Reform Judaism requires that all camp and travel program participants, staff and faculty be immunized. For more information, visit the URJ Immersive Youth Programs Wellness Protocols webpage.
- Are any special vaccinations needed for travel to Israel? For most travelers, the vaccines required by our vaccine policy are sufficient for safe travel to Israel. You may wish to consult the Centers for Disease Control website and your family doctor to determine if additional vaccines are advisable.
Can I go on both Yallah! Israel and Taglit-Birthright Israel?
Yallah! Israel alumni are permitted to travel on Taglit-Birthright Israel when older.
Taglit-Birthright Israel is a free 10-day trip exclusively for 18-26 year olds. While Birthright is a wonderful benefit for Jewish young adults, we believe the 3-5 weeks spent on a Yallah! Israel program provides a much deeper experience that provides the foundation for a strong, lasting connection with Israel and Judaism. We encourage anyone interested in both NFTY in Israel and Taglit-Birthright Israel to participate in Yallah! Israel while still in high school, knowing that they can still take advantage of the gift of Birthright when they are older.
How do Yallah! Israel programs compare to other programs?
Please refer to the Why Travel With Yallah! Israel? section on our website.
Have another question?
If you’ve already registered, please refer to the Family Handbook, which has everything you need to know about the summer trip. Questions may be directed to our North American staff at (212) 452-6517 or by email at email@example.com.